Wednesday, April 30, 2008

come as you are

lately ive been listening to all eras of nirvana. mostly in utero however. on repeat. i read "come as you are" by michael azerrad and i don't know why but its severely depressed me. it sounds overly dramatic to say that but it's true. the countless "blow my head off" references made by cobain throughout the interviews  literally made my stomach turn. i cannot imagine or begin to understand the physical and mental pain he was going through, but knowing that his only relief was opiate induced is just straight depressing. it makes me appreciate my position and standing in life a bit more. i liked nirvana before, when i was younger. everyone did. my first band "jammed" on come as you are and smells like teen spirit, just like every other band has. i don't want to pose that i'm some long time nirvana diehard, but at the age of 24, in 2008, i cant stop listening to and thinking about them. they couldve been anyone from anywhere in the world. cobains voice is more distinct than anyone in our generation. it is impossible to duplicate. i'm just straight disturbed by nirvana right now. the unplugged record is almost too sad to listen to at all. i know i'm 14 years late on the subject but i guess that goes to prove the test of time theorem. who is the kurt cobain of 2000-beyond? will anyone ever have that impact on culture and society again? "i miss the comfort..."

2 comments:

Display Name said...

bfDude I've got the Nirvana Unplugged DVD at my house. It's still shrink wrapped. No way can I watch that. Such a bummer.

Matt Nolan said...

hell yes.